A week full of running to the airport, raking leaves, eating well, and giving thanks.
So what are some musical touch points for those who want to give thanks? In particular, what songs we sing in church contribute to this season of gratitude?
Here they are: my five favorite songs that give thanks.
5. Count Your Blessings. I remember hearing Henrietta Mangum teach this song in Monroe and even though it’s not our typical style these days, I still really like the song. It’s not a bad way to live, either, you know — naming and celebrating all the blessings that have come your way.
4. Give Thanks. An early contemporary Christian classic.
3. Come Thou Fount, Come They King. The ancient and the modern come together beautifully.
2. Forever. I first heard this at The Church On The Way in Van Nuys, California in 2002. Came back to Charlotte and discovered it was already in the queue here. Great stuff.
1. Blessed Be Your Name. This song never gets old, primarily because its truths never fade away. I love the robust way it doesn’t avoid difficult chapters of life but instead finds a way to praise God even in their midst.