So today, it’s the reverse.
Movies that I paid to see or to rent … and realized pretty quickly that I shouldn’t have. Some I left, others I took out of the VCR/DVD player, while others I simply endured.
So here they are: five movies I saw but shouldn’t have.
5. Waterboy. Everyone thinks Adam Sandler is funny, right? Wrong.
4. The Big Kahuna. Kevin Spacey is one of my favorite actors and I’d heard this one was clever and thought-provoking. I don’t want to share what thoughts it really provoked.
3. Roadhouse. Julie loved Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing, so we figured his next one would be a good date night movie as well. Not to speak ill of the dead, but we figured wrong.
2. Conan The Barbarian (1982). Technically, I didn’t pay to see this one. Our college tennis team took a spring break trip to California in 1982 (to play and get beat by schools like UCLA and USC), stayed in the home of a Princeton alum who worked for a Hollywood studio, and saw a sneak preview in the exec’s home theater. After the third decapitation in the first five minutes, I realized these would be two hours we’d never get back.
1. Uncle Buck. Saw this one with a seminary classmate. Entered the theater prepared for raucous laughter. Again, not to speak ill of the dead, but left early without the first crack of a smile.