So here are my five favorite Christmas songs from the sacred genre. Which cuts out offerings by Burl Ives, Bruce Springsteen, and John Lennon.
5. God Rest You Merry Gentlemen. I don’t really like this one all that much, but while in seminary I took voice lessons. For my final “exam,” I had to sing this one as a solo. In front of people. Just me. Never. Again
4. Angels We Have Heard On High. Though I will never take sides in the Great Christmas Debate: is it prounounced in excelsis or in exshelsis?
3. O Come All Ye Faithful. Has to be the first Christmas song the church sings in December
2. Hark The Herald Angels Sing. Because it’s written by a Wesley? Probably.
1. O Holy Night. It wouldn’t be Christmas Eve without some of my favorite people launching into this one.