We had a wonderful night serving around Charlotte Sunday night for SRV CLT. Good Shepherd and Steele Creek Church of Charlotte came together for the effort as we sent out 120 students, 35 adult leaders to 8 ministry locations. Here are just a few of the things we did together:
- Packed 80 food packs that will be given to kids at Lake Wylie Elementary & Steele Creek Elementary who wouldn’t have food over the weekend otherwise.
- Packed backpacks with 2,800 books for under-resourced kids in CMS through Restore Global.
- Organized winter coats and accessories for our homeless neighbors at the Harvest Center.
- Prepared and served a meal for families at Charlotte Family Housing.
- Prayed for our city and organized items at the 24-7 Prayer Center.
- Created tissue-paper flowers and sang Christmas carols to the residents of The Crossings in Steele Creek.
- Threw a Christmas party for 75 residents of Hope Haven complete with music and Christmas cookies.Gave away pizza & water to homeless in Uptown Charlotte.
Overall, it was a great night and students left knowing that God was able to use them to share his love with others through simple acts (and hopefully grasping that he is willing to do that consistently through them if they are willing).
One final story…one of the girls who helped to pack the food packs for our local schools shared during the crew discussion that it was personally impactful to her to do that because she was one of the kids who would receive those food packs every weekend when she was in elementary school. Blessed to be a blessing—full circle.
The invited are becoming inviters.