My good friend and former staff colleague Rich Tuttle had his very first Sunday in his new assignment (what Methodists call an “appointment”) this past Sunday.
Rich is now serving Catawba UMC in between Hickory and Lake Norman.
So it all got me thinking about my very first Sunday as the “solo” pastor of a smaller congregation (or two) in Monroe, NC. Way back in 1990. So here are five memories from that day “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away”:
1. Praying with Julie before leaving the house because I was so nervous.
2. Choosing music that was uber-familiar, including How Great Thou Art and To God Be The Glory.
3. Getting instructions on how to take prayer requests from one of the leaders in the congregation.
4. Preaching a sermon from Psalm 145 with an opening illustration all about Big Tex from the Texas State Fair.
5. Much kind affirmation from nice people afterwards.
I hope & pray Rich’s first Sunday was the same . . . except for the Big Tex part.