As Chiseled moved into its second week, the message featured …
- A bit of personal trivia involving the words “theocentric” and “anthrocentric”;
- The results of a Facebook survey asking the question ‘how has God made your life better?’ (if he has at all);
- A corporate reading of Psalm 145:1-8 before the message began;
- Pictures of Riley at 4 and then again at 24;
- This as the bottom line: God makes your life better so you will make his name greater.
STAND & READ PSALM 145:1-8 FIRST
Would you like to know a little bit of trivia? Bout me? That psalm we just read part of – Psalm 145 – was the Scripture for my very first sermon EVER in full-time ministry at Mt. Carmel Church in July of 1990. Just before I graduated seminary in KY & moved down there to start, I asked a prof what he’d recommend I preach for my first sermon. He said, “make sure to make it THEOCENTRIC rather than ANTHROCENTRIC.” Huh? Oh! That’s a fancy, sort of pretentious way of saying, “making it more about God than ppl.” So I did! I have no real memory of the content, it was certainly NOT part of a series, 76 ppl came, and I do know I said something about Big Tex (AV) & the Texas State Fair. So there’s that.