Books, music, and sports find their way into these Tuesday lists more often than movies.
But I have to admit: every so often, a movie — or, more accurately, a scene within a movie — hits me in such a way that the floodgates open and the tears fall. Sometimes the lips even quiver.
Here are my top five:
5. When Yeller dies in “Old Yeller.” If you didn’t cry, there’s something wrong with you. Or you’re related to Mr. Spock.
4. When Meg Ryan can’t get sober and ruins her family in “When A Man Loves A Woman.” Julie still makes fun of me for the tear onslaught during this one.
3. When Johnny can’t get his dad’s approval in “Walk The Line.” Dads: watch this and note.
2. When I figured out that “Field Of Dreams” is only marginally about baseball and much more about fathers and sons saying what needs to be said before it’s too late. There. I got a lump in my throat just typing that. I love you, Riley.
1. The “I’m coming with you, Daddy!” scene at the end of “Hope Floats.” What’s most painful about that scene is that it is no doubt based on reality.