How does music speak into the role of particular days of the week?
By naming songs after them!
Here are my five favorite:
5. Saturday Night, the Eagles. A staple from their Eagles Live disc.
4. I Don’t Like Mondays, the Boomtown Rats. A melancholy look at the non-sensical reasons people give for mass murder. Before LiveAid, this was Bob Geldof’s claim to fame.
3. Easy Like Sunday Morning, the Commodores. It’s not the way I spend my Sunday mornings, but still a very nice song.
2. Tuesday Afternoon, the Moody Blues. As a kid, I really liked the Moody Blues. I saw them as the forerunner of Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, and every other art rock band. Thing is, I still like them, almost against my better judgment.
1. Ruby Tuesday, the Rolling Stones. It’s named after a girl who is herself named after a day, but it’s my list, after all.