My mom had an eclectic collection of wisdom that she tried to pass on to me as I was growing up.
I’ve collected some of the most salient ones. I’ll leave it to you to decide which ones I followed her on . . . or not.
1. Don’t chew gum in public.
2. Vote Democratic.
3. Buy store brands rather than name brands.
4. Pack a lunch for a long trip instead of stopping for fast food.
5. Reading is always better than watching TV.
6. Look twice before you back out of any parking space.
7. Vote Democratic. Again.
8. Always root for the underdog.
9. Go to Princeton.
10. Don’t let your shoulders sag when you’re upset.
11. Look adults in the eye when you talk to them.
12. Write thank you notes.